Monday, September 1, 2008

First day of school AND liturgical year!

Today was our first day of school for St John Chrysostom Academy and the start of the liturgical year. Unfortunately when I got up I heard Isaac crying at 5:30 this morning. He had a fever and had had a "..sad dream. No, a terrible dream!" He is mostly on bed rest today but has done some school regardless.



The day has gone really well. After we finished school and lunch the children did a procession around the house and garden and we sang the Troparia of the Cross. The kids were up late last night making the processional cross and had so much fun. "bang bang bang bang bang bang bang" Then we came inside and had a first day of school cake. It was so good! You would never have guessed it was gluten free with a Splenda sweetened frosting.




I learned that I can do this just fine. All I need is one extra person around to help cook, clean and watch the little ones. Reassuring huh? David was home of course because it's Labor Day. It made it all go so smoothly. I kept thinking about how differently what we were doing would be going if David hadn't take the screaming Emmeline off. She did come in handy though. We used her as an example of the flesh today while reading the Prologue as she threw herself down on the floor and wailed over something.

2 comments:

Shoes said...

LOL at Emmeline being a fleshly example. Sounds like the day was a smashing success! Yay!!

Lorax said...

How wonderful!! I just heard someone quote Dave Barry as saying that taking care of children is laughably easy so long as you are not trying to do anything else at the same time. So true! We miss you all and can't wait to see you soon! Sorry I keep missing you on gmail. One of these days we'll both be at our computers at the same time. :-)
PS - I wanted to make sure you know about my new blog: http://megparker77.livejournal.com/